From “Right To Repair” gaining traction in the US to a new screen tech, here are some great news stories you may have missed this week.
Man Donates Entire Jackpot To Charity (Insider)
An anonymous man from South Carolina has donated his $150,000 Powerball jackpot to charity, stating that he “hit enough to make someone happy.” As a result of his charitable donation, he won’t have to pay taxes on his winnings.
New Screen Tech Could Be 1/3 Cheaper & Use Less Power (Techquickie)
NanoLED technology is poised to reduce the cost of TVs and screens. This simpler technology requires fewer materials and is easier to produce than current models, resulting in significantly lower costs. In a few years, new TVs may cost only a third of their current price. The technology also allows screens to be brighter while consuming less power. Not only will this tech be great for TVs, but the lower power consumption will help phones and tablets have a longer battery life!
Old EV Batteries Get New Life (Good News Network)
As electric cars age, the question of what to do with their old batteries becomes crucial. However, a California start-up has tackled this issue by converting 1,300 used EV battery packs into an energy storage facility that stores excess renewable energy. By selling stored energy to the California grid, the company made $1m last year. Not only does that save the batteries from landfills, but it’s quite profitable too! The company plans to expand to Texas and California.
“Right To Repair” Movement Gaining Momentum (Good News Network)
Over 20 US states are proposing laws that would require manufacturers to provide parts and instructions for consumer repairs. Colorado passed a bill for farmers to repair their tractors, and similar legislation has passed or been introduced in other states, including Vermont. The American Farm Bureau Federation and John Deere signed an agreement to ensure farmers’ right to repair. New York signed the Digital Fair Repair Act, requiring manufacturers to make parts and instructions available to repair devices like smartphones and tablets.
Apartment Rents Continue to Decrease (Dwellsy)
According to Dwellsy, a rental listing site, the median asking rent for apartments dropped again in January. The decrease in rent may be due to an increase in supply as newly built rentals enter the market. One-bedroom apartment rents decreased by 1.1% from December to January. Overall, one-bedroom apartment rents have dropped to nearly the same level as a year ago, with an average of $1,295 in January 2023. That’s compared to the peak of $1,325 in August.
☀️ More Feel Good Stories:
- Feel Good Friday StoriesA new patch/treatment for kids with peanut allergies, monitor your blood pressure with your phone, and the potential of fungi to absorb carbon
- Feel Good Friday StoriesMore efficient solar panels, a 90% successful cancer treatment and an AI discovered antibiotic!
- Feel Good Friday StoriesParalyzed Man Walks Again, Fuel By Sunshine & Shredded Diapers In Concrete!
- Good News Stories!Teacher Honored, Old Building Turned Into Farm & Plastic Eating Enzymes Found!
- Boosting Brain Growth In Children, Hypersonic Flights & Destroying “Forever Chemicals”Walnuts fighting ADHD, Hydrogen hypersonic flights, and “forever chemicals” could become a thing of the past!
- Free Food For Healthcare Workers, New “Anxiety Gene” & More!Good news! New roads that charge as you drive on them, a newly discovered “anxiety gene”, and free lunches for healthcare workers!
- Free Recycling, New Cancer Treatment & More!Read about a new cancer treatment, companies that recycle devices for free and how your lifestyle is more important than genetics!
- Ants Detecting Cancer, Home Adapts To Seasons & More!From a machine that can extract gallons of water out of the air to phone calls reducing depression and anxiety, here are some good news stories!
- Houseplants For Your Health, Efficient EV Batteries & More!From kids shoes that expand as feet grow to a new massive battery recycling center, here are some good news stories from this week!
- Find A Dog’s Owner With Your Phone, New Shoreline Protection & MoreFrom NASA’s new Mars helicopter breaking records to new tech could eliminate the need for AC, here are some good news stories!
- A 3D Printed Hotel, Carbon Negative Concrete & More!From a pastor who paid off school lunch debt to a new device that restores movement for the paralyzed, here are good news stories from this past week!
- Converting Air Into Electricity, Solar Panels on Rail Tracks & MoreFrom a way to remove “forever chemicals” from water to magnet fishing landing a teen an internship here are some good news stories!
- 3D Printing Cells, Food Prices Dropping & More!From a DIY recycling center to an 80 year old couple finding love on dating apps, here are some good news stories!
- Natural Meat Alternatives, Fighting Dementia with D & More!From a new hydroponic growing concept to lower gas and rent prices, here are some good news stories from this past week!
- 3D Printed Batteries, Cheaper Insulin, Airbag Jeans & More!From a revolutionary new style of battery production to a new way to protect motorcyclists, here are some great news stories!
- Youth Rejecting Social Media, ‘Bad Fat’ Into ‘Good Fat’ & More!From a great story of karma to designer handbags from old couches, here are some good news stories for you!
- Donating Powerball to Charity, Reusing Old Batteries & More!From “Right To Repair” gaining traction in the US to a new screen tech, here are some great news stories you may have missed this week!
- More Graduates, Low Unemployment & More!From unemployment being at a 50 year low to more students graduating high school, here are some good news stories!
- Grass Buildings, Kite Cargo Ships & More!Is grass a better building material than wood? Kites helping cargo ships? Read about some great news stories this week!
- Battery Tech, Karma Cash & More!From the future of batteries being developed in Niskayuna to karma resulting in a million dollar payout, here are some feel good news stories!